About 50 people, including children, from Dongricha Pada village were hospitalised after they inhaled the poisonous ammonia gas, which leaked from the cold storage of a company in the Taloja MIDC area. The gas leak happened at around 7am from the cold storage of Naik Oceanic Pvt Ltd due to a technical problem. 50 people, including children, from Dongricha Pada village were hospitalised after they inhaled the poisonous ammonia gas, which leaked from the cold storage of a company in the Taloja MIDC area. First to be affected were the workers of the cold storage unit, which stores sea food. Locals of Dongricha Pada, which houses around 2,000 people and is located behind the company site, experienced bouts of nausea, giddiness and some even fell unconscious as the gas spread. There was smoke all over. Some people, who had gone to answer nature’s call, even fell unconscious in the toilets. The Senior Police Inspector of Taloja Datta Gule gave an insight on the incident to the media. Preliminary investigation is underway and, if required, a case of negligence will be registered against the persons concerned, he said. As situation worsened, the affected people were rushed to nearby local hospitals while the fire brigade evacuated the entire area. Later, angry villagers pelted stones and smashed windowpanes of the security cabin of the unit and also damaged some vehicles belonging to the company. Workers of the company informed that they were packing fish in the morning when a senior officer started shouting, asking us to run out. It was while they were running out that they got a strange smell, which they later learnt was the smell of poisonous ammonia. The shocker is that the gas leak was so much that it even burnt leaves of some trees in the area. According to locals the companies in the area keep emitting gases and no action is taken against them. They allege that MIDC gives all permissions and police supports industries. There is no one to hear woes of villagers. The locals are now demanding better safety measure and compensation for all affected by Tuesday’s leak. There are always reports of gas leak in air and water resources in Taloja that is slowly taking a heavy toll on the health and lives of villagers. Unfortunately, all the authorities of the area especially MIDC and MPCB never take any concrete action against polluting industries, which helps them to go scot free time and again even as lives of villagers and animals are in danger. With bureau inputs, Monika Bhosale for NMTV News.
September 9, 2018
July 5, 2007