Maharashtra State Opposition Leader in Council, Pravin Darekar arrived in Navi Mumbai as Airoli MLA Ganesh Naik and former MLA Sandeep Naik continue to train guns at the immediate concerns of Navi Mumbar in its fight against COVID-19 cases. They met NMMC Commissioner Annasaheb Misal. Belapur MLA Manda Mhatre joined the visit too.
A red zone city, Ganesh Naik has been demanding many immediate measures to flatten the COVID-19 graph in Navi Mumbai, however the pace of the NMMC administration has been a disappointment.
Among the top issues raised during the meet were :
• To make the NMMC Hospitals of Vashi, Nerul and Airoli free of COVID-19 cases and treatment. They demanded these hospitals should immediately be opened for other health issues and diseases.
• Beginning a COVID-19 testing laboratory in Navi Mumbai.
• An NMMC official EXCLUSIVELY be deployed to check on the exorbitant billing done by private hospitals for both COVID and non COVID cases.
• NMMC must begin zone wise testing in Navi Mumbai on war footing.
• NMMC should provide relief and subsidies in taxes that public has to pay in wake of the financial strains that all segments of society are facing because of the pandemic.
• Appointing medical staff at the earliest for all COVID-19 facilities that are equipped to handle cases but aren’t functional due to absence of medical staff.
While Pravin Darekar condemned the way in which the state government transferred Annasaheb Misal and then revoked the decision, Ganesh Naik urged that this is no time to play “political games” as NMMC Commissioner’s office is centric to COVID-19 battle Navi Mumbai is fighting against the pandemic. They taunted that “change Ministers” not “administrative officials.”
The leaders said that if their demands aren’t met at the earliest, they would step up the protest.