News

ELECTRIC SHOCK FOR CONSUMERS – STATE PLANS 50% HIKE IN POWER TARIFF

The Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Ltd has proposed a 100% hike in the fixed tariff and between 10% and 40% in the variable charges in its power bills for residential consumers across the state, excluding Mumbai. If the proposal is okayed, the fixed and variable components together will lead to an average hike of around 50%. The regions for which the hike has been proposed include Mulund, Bhandup, Kanjurmarg, Navi Mumbai, Thane, Kalyan-Dombivli, Vasai-Virar, Bhiwandi and Ulhasnagar. These areas have over 15 lakh consumers. The MSEDCL has sent its proposal for a hike in power tariff to the Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission. MERC will take the final decision. The tariff for residential consumers using power within 500 units will be Rs 60 instead of the earlier Rs 30. Variable tariff for those consuming up to 100 units will be Rs 2.58 per unit against the earlier Rs 2.05, a hike of 10%. It will be Rs 5.50 against the earlier Rs 3.90-a 30% hike-for those consuming between 101 and 300 units. Most residential consumers fall into this category. Those consuming between 301 and 500 units will have to face a 36% hike. In other words, recession and pay cut hit consumers should gear up for more from the state to pinch their pockets. Bureau report – NMTV News.

Related Articles

Back to top button