Another fire that shocked the city was the one at Johari mansion at Kalbadevi which gutted down the fourth and fifth floors of the building. Tuesday’s fire incident is an eye opener, that many commercial units and offices are still violating fire safety norms with MCGM barely doing anything about. This one was similar to that of the major fire that broke at Byculla. There were commercial units of gold and zari shops along with a branch of Vijaya bank. Civic officials stated that many of these units make use of LPG cylinders and store combustible material. The flames from Johari Mansion was so fierce that it reached two other buildings in the vicinity, and people occupying these had to be vacated. Twelve fire engines, seven water tankers, two ambulances, three special appliance vehicles, a breathing apparatus van and a control post were rushed to the spot. But the narrow lanes in the area made rescue operations difficult. One of the many causes of the fire was the old and dilapidated buildings which are more of a fire traps due to its narrow lanes. Many expressed that the only solution to avoid a repeat was the quick redevelopment of the entire region, on of whom was BJP leader Gopinath Munde. It maybe recalled that three years ago another fire broke out in the Vijaya Bank locker room of the building due to a short circuit. With jai Dutta, Hansraj Kanaujia for NMTV News.