It’s official. The Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai announced that the 15% water cuts would be withdrawn for the entire year till the next monsoon. The MCGM also announced that since the water situation had improved considerably, housing schemes for rehabilitation of project affected people and slum improvement projects would be given water supply. The decision taken at the recently held MCGM Standing Committee to not re-impose water cuts has come as a relief for residents. MCGM Commissioner Swadheen Kshtriya accounted that the civic body would withdraw the 15% water cuts for the entire year till next monsoon. The city was reeling under a 15% water cut for most of last year. It was partially withdrawn only for the festive season in September this year. Civic chief Swadheen Kshatriya made the formal announcement at the standing committee meeting that the 15% and 30% water cuts, for residential and bulk consumers respectively, had been completely lifted. He said the lakes supplying water to Mumbai had sufficient stocks to suffice till next monsoon. He added, however, that the administration would be reviewing water stocks every three months and appropriate decisions taken if needed. Kshatriya said the water department draws 4,000 million litres of water every day (MLD), of which only 3,350 MLD is supplied to the city, while some amount is lost in transit. Howveer, for the time being the civic body will stick to supplying 3350 MLD of water as the water pipelines too are in deteriorating condition. Kshatriya said that the water that overflows from Vihar, Tulsi and Powai, which is discharged into the sea, should be tapped instead of the water being wasted. Meanwhile, corporators were demanding that the civic body look into the water losses caused by leakages and thefts. With cameraperson Raju Sharma, Hansraj Kanojia for NMTV News.
December 12, 2008
ISRO begins countdown for launching two British satellites todaySeptember 16, 2018